The music program at Antonio Catholic School is engaging, fun and exciting. We are very fortunate to have a wonderfully well-equipped music room that allows students to access a wide variety of instruments. Throughout their time at Antonio, students will engage in an instrumental immersion program, learning ukulele, keyboard, guitar, and drumming.
Students in grades 3-6 take part in a musical production at the end of Term Two each year, with the older students stepping into major roles.
We have a variety of ensembles that rehearse weekly, including choir and band. Individual and small group instrumental tuition is also available for our students if they wish to pursue further musical learning. We feature our ensembles and private students at a showcase event in Term Three.
Music also features throughout our Religious Education program, Graduation and End of Year celebrations, and at other school events, as part of a holistic education.
Antonio has a long and valued tradition in sport, and we are all proud of our achievements. We value student physical fitness and wellbeing.
Amanda Fairley is our specialist sports teacher who facilitates two weekly sports lessons for each class and supports staff in running daily fitness activities. Amanda also co-ordinates student participation in various after school and weekend sports, clinics and carnivals across the age groups and facilitates the Mighty Movers program that supports children's gross motor development.
The students enjoy utilising a wide selection of sporting equipment and using our oval, newly developed nature play and full-sized gym.
Our students are given extensive exposure to numerous sports and physical pursuits through a year-long comprehensive physical education program and other activities including:
- Participation in SAPSASA activities in many sports leading to significant representation by students in district, state, and national teams
- High level of participation in SA Catholic Schools Sports Associations carnivals (athletics, swimming, cricket, lacrosse, touch football and netball)
- After School teams in basketball, netball, soccer, and football competitions
- In school sporting clinics funded through the 'Sporting Schools' program where children develop sports skills while working with accredited coaches
- Junior Primary After School Programs in Basketball, Netball, Soccer and AFL.
- School Sports Day
- School camps for all year 3-6 students which include a range of sporting and physical activities
In 2022 we embark on our Auslan learning journey with Madelene Keelan our Auslan Teacher. As a specialist lesson we engage with Auslan lessons once a week and incorporate our learning through everything we do.
Students are exposed to a range of different topics and learn the signs in Auslan, as well as develop their fingerspelling techniques. It’s important for us at Antonio that we embrace Auslan as a culture. We are developing an understanding of the deaf and hard of hearing community along with the successes and challenges they face.
At Antonio our Aulsan lessons are about engaging students through games, movement, song, prayer and building an Auslan vocabulary. We are excited to see where our new learning journey takes us.